Every month of the year seems to have its own designated holiday of sorts. February is for all the romantics with Valentine’s Day, November is famous for Thanksgiving, and the month of December has Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and a few other spiritual holidays.
Well, in case you didn’t know, August is a holiday month too. Okay, maybe not an official holiday, but an entire month dedicated to curb appeal. Don’t ask your boss for a few days off; it probably wouldn’t go over well. August is when everyone in the home improvement community celebrates National Curb Appeal month!
Here are 5 tips to get your house clean and beautiful in time for National Curb Appeal month:
- Give the Exterior of Your Home a Good Cleaning: Cleaning the exterior of your home can increase its value by thousands of dollars, and it will make your home look like new. You can do it the old fashion way with some hot soapy water and a long-handled brush or you can hire a professional to clean it using a pressure washer.
- Add Some New Paint: Once the paint on your house begins to fade or crack, it is time to give it another coat to freshen things up. This task does take some time to complete, so you may be better off hiring someone to do it for you.
- Complete Roof Repairs: Curling shingles and missing shingles create an eyesore up on your roof, which is why we recommend making repairs now. You may even want to consider having your roof cleaned to remove all the dirt, moss, and algae that has built up over the last year or so.
- Perform Some Landscaping: You will be amazed at how a little landscaping will improve the look of your yard and it won’t take much time to do it either. Some new flowers and a shrub or two will add some color and greenery to your yard and will make people stop to take a second look.
- Install a Fence: Sometimes a yard looks dull and boring until the homeowner takes the time to install a fence. A fence doesn’t need to be too high and you may find that your curb appeal can be improved immensely by installing a low picket fence around your yard.
Of course, all these tips won’t be helpful in keeping your property looking amazing if you do not take the time to maintain everything throughout the rest of the year. We recommend making these changes to your exterior now, and then keeping everything looking fresh and new with a regular monthly maintenance schedule.